#OCCUPYDEMOCRACY: CHURCHILL PLINTH OCCUPIED ALMOST 24HRS; TODAY 3PM – ARRESTED GREEN JENNY JONES + CAROLINE LUCAS MP TO SPEAK; MASS DEMO 6PM THURS
Phone: 07751445132 / 07745651634 / 07424934658 / 07590 405 810
Twitter: #occupydemocracy / @occupydemocracy / @occupylondon
NB. Pictures/video are available, plus interviews with people from the occupation can be arranged
#OccupyDemocracy: Churchill plinth occupied almost 24 hours; mass demo 6pm Thursday, Arrested Green Jenny Jones plus Caroline Lucas MP to speak today
• As the Parliament Square occupation enters day 6 – despite draconian policing – the Churchill plinth has been respectfully occupied by an #occupydemocracy protestor now for almost 24 hours, with around 150 protestors on the grass verge of the Square last night
• Protestors call for people to join mass assembly 6pm this Thursday for the renewal of our democracy
• Ongoing packed line up of events, including at 5:30pm today Green Party MP Caroline Lucas and Baronness Jenny Jones (chairwoman of the London assembly’s economy committee and deputy chair of its police and crime committee) – who was arrested yesterday on Parliament Square, then de-arrested
• Authorities disrupting and tormenting – not facilitating – peaceful protest.
Danny, who is up on the Churchill plinth holding a placard, which states: “The revolution will not be confiscated” said: “I’m up here because Churchill is a symbol is freedom and we’ve had our freedom to protest removed, with no proper explanation why. The rights of the damaged area of grass to regrow this week – rather than next week after our protest – has been deemed to be of more importance than our rights to assemble and protest, even though a significant area of the Square is intact.”Today 5.30pm – Green Party MP Caroline Lucas and Baronness Jenny Jones to speak
As part of the ongoing packed line up of events, today at 5:30pm Green Party MP Caroline Lucas and Baronness Jenny Jones (chairwoman of the London assembly’s economy committee and deputy chair of its police and crime committee) – who was arrested yesterday on Parliament Square, then de-arrested when the Police realised who she was – will be in attendance and speaking. Other speakers include Jeremy Leggett (Solar Century, Carbon Tracker) and Asad Rehman (Friends of the Earth). The full programme of events can be found at http://occupydemocracy.org.uk/#programme.Political tormentative policing – call for mass demo 6pm Thursday
Protestors observe that an expensive, heavy-handed political policing operation is being utilised which sees the Metropolitan Police and the Heritage Wardens – run by a private security firm on behalf of the Greater London Authority. Working in concert they are disrupting peaceful protest with an ongoing and constant campaign on harassment, physically, mentally and emotionally – which is very much at odds with the Police’s insistence that they are ‘facilitating’ the protest.Disruption of peaceful protest includes, never-mind the acts of violence against people:
• Removing amplification equipment, sleeping equipment, sundry items such as umbrellas, tarpaulin, cardboad, and personal items including phones, shawls
• Evicting and arresting people sitting on the square
• And finally fencing off the square.
As such, with mood on the Square resolute, the occupation’s General Assembly with around 150 protestors, have called for a show of solidarity with a mass demonstarion and assembly in the defence of democracy in the UK for 6pm Thursday on Parliament Square. Speakers will include performance artist Mark McGowan (aka The Artist Taxi Driver), human rights activist Peter Tatchell plus there will be a supper feast (bring food).
The protestors have also urged members of the public to register their complaints about Police behaviour by calling +44 (0) 20 7230 1212, whether you saw the scenes in person or in videos, whether you live in the UK or abroad.