Saturday – Occupy London presents NOT the Lord Mayor's Show – a festival for the people
- Unveils plans for the ‘NOT the Lord Mayor’s Show’, as a response to the power of the undemocratically elected Lord Mayor of the City of London. Speakers include occupiers, David Harvey (City University of New York) and John McDonnell MP, plus host of performers.
- In an addition to the traditional ceremonies of the day, the Occupy London camp and people in attendance will be blessed by Rt Revd Michael Colclough, Canon in Residence from St Paul’s Cathedral after the blessing of the new Lord Mayor.
This Saturday 12th November, the City of London Corporation will be inaugurating the new Lord Mayor of the City of London with his traditional procession through the City. This year, that procession will still culminate in its usual form, with the Rt Revd Michael Colclough, Canon in Residence from St Paul’s Cathedral, performing the traditional blessing of the new Lord Mayor on the south side of the Cathedral at noon.
After the Lord Mayor’s Pageant has passed, there will be an additional blessing, with the Rt Revd Michael Colclough then coming to the main steps of the Cathedral to bless the OccupyLSX camp and attendees.
NOT the Lord Mayor’s Show
From 3pm onwards, OccupyLSX will be hosting the NOT The Lord Mayor’s Show, a festival for the people, which aims to place the celebratory atmosphere of the traditional event in a non-hierarchical and community-focused environment. In keeping with Occupy London’s inclusive mission, the occupation is inviting all those attending the Lord Mayor’s Show to join the Occupy London event once the traditional festivities are over.
Jenny Harding, a supporter of OccupyLSX said: “We will not have golden carriages, we will not have military costumes, we will not have a marching band, but we are going to enjoy ourselves. This is about valuing people and community, rather than privileging the undemocratically elected Lord Mayor of the City of London.”
The NOT The Lord Mayor’s Show will kick off with performances by comedians, spoken word artists and others, all compered by acclaimed stand-up comedian Andy Zaltzman, with performers including:
- Dean Atta
- Chris T-T
- Matt Dyson
- Beans on Toast
- The Clouded Silver and the Occupation Band
Performances will be followed by a special assembly, at which the following speakers have been confirmed:
- Voices from the Occupation
- Bell Ribeiro-Addy, One Society Many Cultures
- Varinder Singh, Sikhs against the EDL
- John McDonnell MP
- Chris Philpott, Author of Green Spirituality
- David Harvey of the City University of New York, who will be holding an impromptu teach-in (a short lecture followed by a question and answer section and structured discussion).
Occupy London expect to confirm further performers and speakers, which will be announced on the @occupylsx twitter feed.
 The Occupation, announced on November 8 three demands for greater transparency from the City of London Corporation, all of which were ratified by the General Assembly based at St Paul’s:
1. Publish full, year-by-year breakdowns of the City Cash account, future and historic.
2. Make the entirety of its activities subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
3. Detail all advocacy undertaken on behalf of the banking and finance industries, since the 2008 financial crash.