#OccupyLSX Callout – Be ready to create a better world!
Occupy London Stock Exchange calls supporters to meet 12 noon at St Paul’s Cathedral on Saturday, 15 October
Occupy London Stock Exchange (OccupyLSX) has called on people to meet at 12pm 15th October in front of St Paul’s Cathedral in London for the beginning of a planned peaceful occupation in London’s Square Mile. Occupy LSX intend to highlight and address social and economic injustice in the UK and beyond, as part of a global movement for real democracy.
Supported by UK Uncut, the London-based Assembly of the Spanish 15M movement and others, the movement has received phenomenal interest, from the public and media in the UK and around the world. The OccupyLSX facebook group now has more than 13,000 members, with more than 5,000 confirming their intention to be there on the day.
OccupyLSX issued the following call out to potential attendees:
“The words ‘corporate greed’ ring through the speeches and banners of protests across the globe. After huge bail-outs and in the face of unemployment, privatisation and austerity, we still see profits for the rich on the increase. But we are the 99%, and on October 15th our voice unites across gender and race, across borders and continents, as we call for equality and justice for all.
“In London, we will occupy the Stock Exchange. Reclaiming space in the face of the financial system and using it to voice ideas for how we can work towards a better future. A future free from austerity, growing inequality, unemployment, tax injustice and a political elite who ignores its citizens, and work towards concrete demands to be met.”
– When and where? Assemble Midday in front of St Pauls Cathedral (London EC4M 8AD). Please try to be on time and not early or late. When you are there be ready and attentive. Nearest tubes are St. Pauls, Mansion House and Canon Street; buses 4, 11, 15, 23, 25, 26, 100, 242; more information at www.stpauls.co.uk/Visits-Events/Getting… and check Transport For London website for delays and closures at journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk
– What to bring? If planning to stay for a while, do bring plenty of food and water, wrap up warm. Tents , sleeping bags and torches are also a good idea
– Stay in contact – Make sure to follow @OccupyLSX on Twitter for updates on the day. Hashtags #OccupyLSX #OLSX #OccupyLondon #oct15. The OccupyLSX Facebook page will also be updated regularly: www.facebook.com/occupylondon
– Stay safe – People are advised to come with a friend or group of friends. Legal advice will be distributed on the day
– Have fun – Most of all, OccupyLSX asks that you bring your energy and excitement, and be ready to create a better world!
Press enquiries: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +44 (0) 7428 076610 / (0) 7592 424578
– Ends –
1. The first OccupyLSX General Assembly took place during the course of UK Uncut’s “Block the Bridge, Block the Bill” event on Westminster Bridge. Images, together with a report of the event, have been posted at occupylsx.org
2. For an overview of Occupy events happening in the UK, see Occupy Britain (www.occupybritain.co.uk/). A comprehensive list of United for Global Change events scheduled for 15th October is available at 15october.net.