Housing Weekender: Housing Crisis Action: 26-27 April
The Housing Weekender, 26th and 27th April: a collaboration among groups working on a whole range of housing issues including private renting, access to welfare, squatting, co-operatives and social housing.
Radical Housing Network:
“The housing crisis grows steadily deeper, and yet those is power fail to take the necessary action to secure the future of the city. This weekend will bring people together to build a movement of practical solidarity, to resist social cleansing and reclaim the city for the people who live here.”
If you’re affected by the bedroom tax, housing benefit caps, the squatting ban, rising rents, dodgy landlords, poor quality housing or gentrification… the Housing Weekender is for you.
It’s set to be an action-packed two days. On Saturday 26th, there are events planned all round London, organised by local groups who are in the Radical Housing Network. Events are set to take place in Lewisham, Lambeth, Brent, Camden, Hackney and Haringey, and include films, info-stalls, discussions, games, and actions.
On Sunday 27th, everyone will come together in central London, for a day of discussion, action planning and strategising. The day will include:
- Action planning and preparation – building for a mass action in the week after the event
- Organising against the crisis: How can we work together to build a stronger housing movement?
- Alternatives: co-ops, self-builds, neighbourhood plans and more
- Speakers including Danny Dorling (author of All that is Solid) and Liz Davies (Haldane Society)
- Media training for housing and gentrification action groups
- Legal advice surgery and training on providing legal support
- Tea, cake (hopefully), chat