The Spark: Learn. Connect. Create
Date(s) - 10/06/2013 - 15/06/2013
10:00 am - 1:00 am
We would like to invite you to…
JUNE 10th – 15th
@ Blackfriars Hub, 58 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y 0DS
>> A WEEK FULL OF WORKSHOPS
>> EVENINGS FULL OF DISCUSSION, FILM, MUSIC AND MORE
As the G8 gets ready to meet in the UK, the London Roots Collective, along with Jubilee Debt Campaign and others, will host the Spark – A space to explore what a more socially and economically just world would look like, and how to get there. It will be a space to learn from each other and strengthen our groups and movements. We’re interested in bringing together individuals and groups that don’t normally work with each other and thought you might be interested in the aims of the week and some of the workshops and stuff going on.
There will be a wide range of in-depth trainings and workshops happening throughout the week, during the daytimes – which you need to sign up to in advance to ensure you get a place. And you’re welcome to drop-in for the evenings, and on Saturday 15th, for discussions, films, and music – no need to register for these.
>> WEEKDAY WORKSHOPS INCLUDE (register in advance)
- Economics is for everyone – basic economics for social justice activists
- Direct action: Acting outside the box
- Building at the grassroots – radical community organising
- Creating space for young people in ‘the crisis’
- Diversity and oppression in social justice organising
- The power of film
- Strategising for social change
- Tactics share
- Young people and activism: how and why?
>> EVENING SESSIONS INCLUDE (no need to register)
- Life and Debt: As debt piles up across Europe, and on individuals, how can we resist the rule of debt?
- Military Britain: Join us for a discussion on the UK arms trade, military spending and role in waging remote control wars through drone technology.
- Food sovereignty: Food growers, small-scale producers, consumers and activists across the UK are taking actions to make food sovereignty a reality. Come and take –part of our growing food sovereignty movement. Plenty of actions to take forward.
- The Climate Room: connecting the dots between climate and cuts.
- Policing and Security in the UK: details TBC
>> SATURDAY (no need to register)
On Saturday 15 June we’ll finish the week with a bang: with a food sovereignty marketplace, all-day comedy and music, workshops on debt, austerity, tax, food, and militarism, and a free gig in the evening.
// Would you like to run a workshop?
If you’d like to run a workshop at the Spark check out how >> [http://thesparkspace.moonfruit.com/#/running-a-workshop/4575693889]
And if you’re interested in helping out with organising and running this space, please do get in touch!
>> WHY NOW?
The week falls right before the G8 meeting in the UK – a meeting of 8 powerful countries to discuss topics including transparency, trade, tax and hunger. Many believe that the countries involved are ill-placed to make global decisions on these issues as they have been instrumental in pushing damaging economic policies and austerity on countries around the world, and many are now pushing the same policies onto their own countries and their European neighbours. Many will be mobilising in response to this, and we aim to take this opportunity to bring some of these groups, and others interested in social change together.