Summer Solidarity Party! In aid of refugees
Date(s) - 20/08/2017
12:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Bread and Roses Pub
Stand Up To Racism – South London presents a spectacular day and night – filled with music, entertainment and opportunity – in support of refugees and south London initiatives. Grab your shades and wallet, and come on down enjoy an intriguing array of treats for all ages and inclinations – completed by an evening of music from some of the capitals most captivating artists…
Day time delights:
• Pre-Loved Bazaar – dig in bargain hunters!
• Face painting
• Garden games and curiosities
• Limited edition Refugees Welcome T-Shirts available for sale
• Indian head massage stall
Check out the Opportunity Fayre:
• Brixton Soup Kitchen and Support Centre info and t-shirt stand – get to know this award winning local charity and show your support https://www.facebook.com/BrixtonSoupKitchen/
• Help4Refugee Children will display a banner made by child refugees and give an update about their on-going projects
• Defend the Ten libraries campaign info stall – meet the activists defending Lambeth!
• 3 – 4pm Pint and Politics workshop: ‘Operation Hedgehog’ – how to talk about socialism with people – and have an impact; avoiding “Hedgehog response” / death by boredom. Casual, open format.
• Clothes and food drop off point for refugee donations
Stand Up To Racism – South London members to chat with – we’re friendly types 😊
Music from 6pm:
Michael Sebastian – Hot London-based loop artist Sebastian will provide a musical experience that is authentic and ‘in the moment’. He takes influence from all genres of music and subtly fuses them to create a sound that a varied audience can relate to. His impeccable timing and feel means that the music is always moving, oozing energy: http://www.bastiancreations.com/
A tasty preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm3S-KXQ65M
Caroline Kraabel – saxophonist and activist Caroline is an outstanding musician and person. She has performed around the globe – from trendy West Baltimore during the mid-90s to refugee camps in France more recently. Caroline opens eyes with her unique style of improv acoustic Sax: http://www.masskraabel.com/listen.html
Caroline’s Calais podcast: https://carolinekraabel.bandcamp.com/track/news-from-calais-spring-2017
DJ Cal Jader – sizzling Latin and carnival DJ Cal Jader is one of the musical activists, founders and original ‘dancehall caballeros’ behind Movimientos. With his trademark blend of red hot ‘classico’ latin beats, uptempo carnival rhythms, tropical bass, and fresh global sounds he is helping to soundtrack London’s thriving underground scene with residencies across the capital.
And more TBC…
Suggested door donation: £5 waged, £3 unwaged, £10 family (non-traditional family format welcome!) Come in / out as you please, no re-entry charge 😊
Please do support the Bread and Roses pub by helping yourself to generous servings of the delicious (and ethical!) beverage and culinary offerings. This wonderful worker’s co-operative pub is a rare diamond in the sea of identikit franchise bars now crowding our capital, so do go ahead and enjoy treating yourself on Sunday – guilt-free! More info here: http://www.breadandrosespub.com/
The charities and organisations which will receive profits from the door are:
Just Shelter: https://m.facebook.com/justshelterearlsfield/
Which are both providing direct support to refugees living homeless in France, on the brink of survival each day.
*If you are a charity or organisation which would like to be considered for a share of the profits, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org