2013/03/04 Minutes Economics Working Group
1. Minutes from 18th February 2013 – approved
2. Work discussion last Friday – Mary wants to talk about LETS. Citizens income required to make work non-coercive. Weekend session Sunday 24th March 12noon-5pm provisionally arranged by Tim.
3. GIRO – meeting with VC – arranging meet with CEO of the Post Office (Steve Waldren). VC less enthusiastic but promised to come back. BoI hiked mortgage interest rates for 11,000 customers with tracker mortgages. PO offering the cheapest mortgages to new borrowers on the back of £15bn form UK depositors. PO contract is valuable to BoI; floated the idea of offering current accounts via the PO. Mrs Jack Straw (Alice Perkins) is Chair of the PO. Occupy GIRO public meeting would set the agenda. When and where to hold a campaign to bring back national GIRO bank.
4. Mike has access to the Twitter account. Mike to provide an article to Vica – “back to the workhouse”; lack of an active project on the website to initiate action from visitors. Need a communications team – GA to make GIRO occupy policy preceded by EWG approval.
5. Screening of Secret City under consideration – John is pursuing.
6. Debt jubilee – Friday 15th March Debt Assembly http://occupylondon.org.uk/events/debt-assembly 7-9pm at the Royal Exchange. Proposal to discuss Debt on Friday 8th March. Looking at the ground floor but need to look at the basement. Profit for theme 15th March. HFT – 22nd March. Dave will fill out the pro-forma for the debt meeting.
7. City Reform group (Naomi) – 16th March The Rules CoL campaign with UK Uncut: City of London elections and Debt (Africa) – Dave and John nominated as Labour party candidates (not Occupy). Cornhill, Queen Hive. Pirate Party UK seem to be involved in CoL campaign. Harry Shutt – 16th March Failures of Capitalism – Le Monde Diplomatique. 6:30pm Tuesday 12th March at the Guild Hall Avaaz lecture – responsible investment. Monday 25th March – LSE – Ben Bernanke, Larry Summers, Mervyn King register after noon Tuesday 19th March. Budget 20th March – volunteers for response – via piratepad on the day. HSBC – joint action with OWS on 5th March. Clive to respond and congratulate them on the cards.
8. LBoI – Occucards sold at 9c per card; numbered to make a set; need to approve all the text; available online to examine the text; John grouped the occucards, matched them to LboI and John will provide a table of themes matched to occucards. UK context “football card size”. Table from John and then all interested should review. Specific card for GIRO Bank?
9. DPAC – Atos assessment death controversy. Statistics are vague – and some information is missing; annual death rate of those on disability benefits is unchanged – needs investigation.
10. Move your money campaign – developing website, funding from Rowntree Foundation. Look at the website; threats can be effective. www.moveyourmoney.org.uk/
11. Need to discuss cooperation with other Occupy groups.
12. Debt – see Dave’s email today subject: Re: Debt writedowns HEY EWG TODAY 5PM TOO historical context; swim further upstream – debt relies on the notion of ownership – transformative level rather then reformist; wouldn’t take on the interest element.