2013/02/18 Minutes Economics Working Group
1. Minutes of the 11th and 15th approved
2. Nelio’s pro-forma submission profile for the Friday discussion themes – tbc. What is the purpose of the EWG. “Profit” for a themed a discussion? Profit is price you pay to take a risk. Need paper in advance. Steve to present on food from an economic standpoint? Food on Friday22nd – Steve (Mario Molinari – Passing Cloud); Profit on 1st March – Clive;
3. Friern Barnet Library – Tim needs to confirm venue
4. Occupy twitter and facebook accounts – EWG access. Suggest Mike email Mark Weaver to ask who has access and how can EWG get access.
5. Updates: a) Banking campaign strategy – Peter and Mike to see Vince Cable again. b) roadmap – ntr c) LboI – formal evaluation requested asap before next edition. d) tax havens – Rules group – actions planned; Treasure Islands – can Occupy organise Secret City showing; CoL elections – John to stand for labour in ward; 7th March – Brian Mooney meeting of the common council asking about the City cash and tax havens; government >£2m contracts restricted to those not involved in tax avoidance – Prem Sikka wrote it’s full of holes Comment is Free article; Labour is equally culpable. Income inequality analogous to 1917; Peter Schwartz book – expected improvements haven’t happened. Polish inequality in the UK. Equality is a good thing – mortality e) EWG website development f) Social Housing; g) commoning; h) Economic statistics
6. A. Hannah looking for an animator; Schrapp too. (banking); B. 5th March HSBC joint action with Occupy Wall St; international communication; E. Occupy Debt Assembly; F. Book reviews due Thursday.
7. Shout outs: Banking bonuses; Dutch have pulled out of FTT; CoL Trades Council Links; Roger (Peter Kenyon) sent to Chair Bromley Trades Council (Glen Kelly) – murky political environment – unions (evidence of bullying) caution when dealing with Unions. Authoritarian progressives as opposed to egalitarian progressives; Dave looking at feasibility of standing for CoL on Labour ticket. FTT in Brazil for 20 years. Resident Associations event to tie in occupy. Agenda item for next Monday; impossible.com Lily Cole – gift economy site. Need to discuss cooperation with other Occupy groups.