2013/02/04 Minutes Economics Working Group
1. Minutes from 28th January and 1st February 2013 – approved
2. Friern Barnet Library EWG conference – proposed time and date: 12 noon to 5pm Sunday 24th March possibly followed by Sunday 7th April if further meeting required. One suggestion: EWG should be keeping pace with current events; Al Gore cited six major issues – i) globalised economy ii) planetary communication/robotics iii) new political economy form the east; iv) downsizing outsourcing American v) ecological challenges – reductionist approach v. scientific analysis; vi) unstable relationships and unsustainable development. Countered by view that AlGore is very much part of the 1% and a charlatan. Prospective attendees should circulate proposals for discussion on the day.
3. Updates: a) banking – nothing to report; b) roadmap now on the OL website feedback requested c) Little Book of Ideas – finance request for reprint will made at GA on Thursday d) tax havens – demos/actions etc. coinciding with the CoL elections; Chris FD has the materials for the spider if required e) EWG website – nothing to report f) social housing policy – Chris F-D is working with external group g) commoning meetings – nothing to report h) economics statistics – Aviva family finance study showing how people are much worse off than the headline inflation would suggest.
4. A. discussion of Work in Progress on the agenda (item 6) and some removed or amended; B. email communication with international occupy groups is useless but personal contacts are invaluable; various member of EWG have personal contact with OWS Alt Banking Group and European Occupy groups; C. experts/economists add to the list – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap4Z0DZ9yslndDViWXRDdkhyRndqVIVmZsbDc3NVE D. Treasury Select Committee – strategy; E. Jubilee Debt Campaign – meeting in Tunisia? F. Land value book reviews due 21st February;
5. Friday’s theme? Create a procedure for setting discussion based on a proposition/paper. Name, seconder, objective; pro forma will be supplied by Nelio; Clive to circulate paper on interest for discussion this Friday; LVT and interest related (two sides of the same coin) – possible solutions to address both issues; need to avoid parochial approach ie. Sterling centric, US dollar, Euro and Japanese Yen should all be considered in any solution; proposed solution will focus on generic currency issues rather than being UK specific.
6. Shout outs – meeting 23rd February re: Canary Wharf – anti economic system – details to follow (Steve)
Global table – Peter Challen’s website being updated – www.ccmj.org
Barcamp No 6 – Nesta meeting next week – geeks – alternative financial systems cost £10 unconference – Monday 11th February 10am Nesta, East London http://plancast.com/p/94mf/barcampbanklondon-5-6th-february-2012
economics sub-group revival with Robin Smith and other advocates of LVT or similar – meetings clash with Friday’s EWG mtg – where can we go from here? – LVT & Interest are closely linked
George Osborne announces separation of retail and investment banking threatened as mandatory if banks don’t implement voluntarily;
analysis of Land value convenants – Chris Cook Non-dominium;
GA Friends Meeting house – Thursday 7th February
EU petition on ecocide
Tamo’s book on Occupy – very good
Radical Routes – cooperative conference in Leeds