2013/01/25 Minutes Economics Working Group
1. Minutes from 21st January 2013 – approved
2. Books – distributed for review and return within 4 weeks 22nd February 2013. The books have been donated by Fred Harrison’s publisher and include four of his titles, three novels, a biography and another work on taxation. The idea that readers will write a review of the books for the benefit of the EWG.
3. “The people make the rules” campaign to publicise the role of the City of London as a Tax Haven – want slogans for posters to be displayed on bus shelters etc. pre-City of London elections (purpose.com). Link up with UK Uncut and occupy. Brainstorming ideas – Secret City. Ideas were written down and passed to Dave for onward distribution.
4. Themes: Nelio, John and Mark are all keen to present on work, Mario Molinari wants to do something on food and nutrition. Other topics for the future could include: wealth – what is it and how should it be distributed; equality, economy of oneness – how can this be really relative; systems theory and economics; interest; citizens income; tax havens; debt jubilee; two fundamental monopolies – money and land; GDP/economics of growth v. no growth; justice; European Union; housing. Topics for discussion on the strategy one day conference; Roadmap; LBoI. The map (Mary)
5. a) GIRO ongoing b) Roadmap – Dave to distribute latest version over the weekend c) LBoI – finance request postponed; need discussion on the content d) EWG website in progress – occupycityof london.org is available for use, courtesy of Steve e) Social Housing Policy – CFD has emailed external party chasing previous action; f) Localism Act – FoI requests Susan (residents associations) – liaise with Mike g) commoning – no report h) development of stats – economics briefing (IPPR)?
6. Shoutout – Gbola homeless and needing help – currently in hostel – more people available at the GA – evicted October 28th – fighting against bureaucracy – needs somewhere to sleep tonight;0.3% drop in GDP triple dip?
7. Meeting closed at 6:30pm to allow time to get to GA in St Martin’s Lane. Next meeting – Monday 28th January 2013 – Agenda to follow.