2013/01/18 Minutes Economics Working Group

2013/01/18 Minutes Economics Working Group

1. Minutes from meeting 11th and 14th January 2013 – approved

2. a) Next theme meeting – 1st February Land value capture/share or recovering stolen land; discussion of bounty from the land to be shared for the common good rather than the detail of implementation; Clive to circulate paper; discussion needs to include countryside v city; environmental considerations; versus nationalisation of land. It is important to read Progress and Poverty by Henry George in advance of the discussion; Marx referred to land in Book 3 but it has been largely overlooked; need more time for response gestation – naming and framing language – avoid LVT;Possible future themes: interest, citizens income; unintended consequences and tactical implementation of policies; important to retain the legacy of St Paul’s. Is it necessary for the current system to be ungovernable as a prerequisite for change? b) whole day economic review and discussion; Friern Barnet Library – Date to be confirmed in mid to late February.
3. a) GIRO sub-group meeting on Monday 21st January. b) Smaller banks agenda – meeting tba; c) Roadmap: in progress – further discussion today; revised draft will be available online 28th January – interactive platform to development autopoietic system; themap has provoked interest from Global Table and others; expanded scope to include environment and politics. d) LBoI working on next edition; NB. input request for suggested chapters, amendments. e) website in progress; f) Social housing: Steve to circulate paper. g) Local Authority FoI requests – FB Library actively engaging with the Localism Act; Barnet doesn’t know or understand the Act; conflict of interests where councils own property and are also administering the sale; Localism Act is means to saving money and selling off assets; Waltham Forest closed library four years ago – eventually agreed to rent building to local community centre; Campden – locate legal dept and facilities management dept which operate autonomously; some councils renting out premises (they couldn’t afford to run themselves) to community groups at peppercorn rents – most people unaware of this opportunity (policy predated Localism Act under Labour – community transfer into a Community Land Trust; Mary received email on community currencies – CityMart networking information for city to city sharing – llga.org – accepting proposals for ideas to be backed. h) Commoning – Tuesday 22nd January – Occupy, IOPS, Anti-capitalist, Plan C and commoning (George Por); 6:30-8:30pm SOAS Agenda tba; commons – living around the current system by implementing open licences on top of copyright etc. I) The Rules campaign – further meeting planned; anti the City, tax havens etc. Secret City by Michael Chanan; next screening 26th January at TINAG festival http://thisisnotagateway.net/ j) Economic statistics – nothing to report
4. Shout out: a) May demo planned against the cuts; bedroom tax; living wage; parallel protests in Wales; Mark circulated details; Clive to communicate with Dan Morgan; b) GA 7pm at Friends Meeting House on Friday 25th January to discuss anti-cuts demo, actions with other groups. c) Fred Harrison’s publisher, Anthony Werner, has offered some books to the EWG. d) Marni from Alt banking group at OWS interviewed Clive and will be keeping in touch; e) Positive Money conference 26th January; f) Radio4 LIBOR program 8-9:30pm listen again http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pw3lj/The_Report_Libor/; g) Occupations: Friern Barnet, Battersea, Brent, Lewisham; 22nd January rally at Hendon Town Hall 7pm Barnet Council; 23rd March another action planned; g) LibDem website item refers to real freeloaders are the landlords; h) meetings: green labour and Fabians popular environmentalism; John Kay Tomorrow’s Company at Deloittes; 6:30 -8:30 Wed 23rd Occupiers meeting at the Barbican, 1st floor.
5. Next meeting 21st January LVT; Mike to propose Agenda for next business meeting;

© 2012 Occupy London
Powered By DynamiX