2012/08/03 EWG Meeting Minutes

2012/08/03 EWG Meeting Minutes

Steve, Jamie, Dave, Nelio, Chris, Arun, Clive, Mark

1. Minutes from 30th July – amendments: Item 5, Giles Fraser not Gilchrist + GF looking into
booking into the church. Item 7, “at” not “of” LSE – otherwise minutes approved.
2. Planning for GA – LIBOR, three top points on Dave’s banking paper to be discussed. Non-
contentious items. Mention of non-exec directors taking directors’ fees for doing very little
and not holding management to account. Consensus in pieces or as a whole. More papers on
the way. IASB issues etc. GA to approve as policy.
3. a) GIRO – feasibility study is being considered b) next Tax Haven meeting 4pm Friday
10th August (not on Monday)
4. Website – banking documents have been uploaded but some minutes from the early days are
still outstanding. Difficult to find particular documents because there is one folder with
everything in it. Clive to email Vica re: options and advise EWG via list.
5. a) LBOI – Glossary – Nelio has responded with a list from another source; Dave will talk to
Peter regarding the number of items – should be limited to the acronyms used in the LBOI
itself; Steve has web space he can offer with a Donate button which would permit money to
be raised for reprints; b) Economics conference: real democracy group is interested in being
involved; Putney debates – based on the history of the Levellers – social justice; 28th
October – 11th November 1647; week 29th October St Mary’s church will be available;
Chris has established interest from: Giles Fraser, Richard Murphy, Polly Toynbee, John
MacDonnell; Richard Wilkinson (Spirit Level) and TJN (John Christianson) are possible speakers and replies are outstanding from Geoffrey
Robertson; Robert Skidelsky; Helena Kennedy; Robert Peston; George Monbiot. Need to
ensure liaison with Mark Barrett who has been talking about this from the outset. How much
for the church? – £350 per night. Not just economics need to bring all the threads together
eg. anarchist theories and democracy. History repeats itself, we’ve been here before. Other
venues in the area? Attract publicity to make it a big event beyond occupy – edited video
recording to be circulated. Why Putney? Cromwell’s troops were camped there – forms of
resistance; analogous to libraries being closed; mirror historical context; 365 years since the
original debates c) Housing – nothing to report; Chris to email Vica re: housing statement as
policy on the website d) IFCT – ongoing – Sean proposing to the GA tonight e) Localism
Act – members to contact Local Authorities – see today’s post on EWG list about TUC
analysis of proposals
6. Roadmap – Dave has put a draft online which needs further organisation. Clive will explore
versioning software solutions. Dave still working on the roadmap for others to contribute in
a week or two.
7. Economic news: Mumble Tuesday – Tax havens discussion? Standon Calling festival this
weekend, (about 20 miles up the A10 from the Great Cambridge roundabout on the North
Circular) to include a play on banking on Saturday 4th August evening and Clive is talking
at a lunchtime debate on banking on Sunday 5th August: http://www.standon-calling.com/
8. Next EWG meeting – Monday 6th August at Friends Meeting House, Euston 5-7pm

© 2012 Occupy London
Powered By DynamiX