04.07.13_Press WG meeting

04.07.13_Press WG meeting

Present: Vica, Liz, Ben, Sylvia

Minutes: Ben, Vica

Agreements

L and B to manage press accounts until the 18th.

Next meeting 18th July at 17.30 at RFH

To test Crabgrass as a platform for the press WG

In the interim, at least for now, the Press WG can make press statements provided this is done via the riseup Press List and that any such statement is in accord with the Occupy London statements.

Action points

  1. Press rota: L and B will manage the press accounts until the 18th. They will ask K & O for the password. V will take down K number from the website.
  2.  Press contact list: V to set up crabgrass and ask people to contribute
  3. Press WG riseup list: B to write to R to sort out admin

Outstanding items

  • Specifics of checks and balances
  • Other communication channels (Twitter, Facebook)
  • Workshops and training setups
  • Rethink relationship with MSM
  • Rethink remit and relationship with GA
  • Review relationship between press and outreach
  • Need and use of press phones

Minutes

Review of action points from last meeting.

1. T. to give K. and O. password to press e-mail account.
DONE
Comments: L and B will manage the press accounts until the 18th. They will ask K & O for the password

2. K. and O. to manage press account until 3rd July
DONE

3 V. to add press numbers to website
DONE
Comments: Discussion about how putting L, O, K phone contact on Web site has worked. L reports that calls have come in from Telegraph. And we have heard from K and O that they have had calls too.
Discussion about having actual physical mobiles that could be the press phones.  Concern expressed that it might be non-transparent for normal times, but might be good to have such for when actions are happening.  Logged as a discussion point for next meeting.

4. T to start google doc to pool resources for MSM contact list
Comments: No-one present knew if this had been done or not.
V talked about Crabgrass and then possible processes for looking after the press contact list/s. There was agreement to start using it to test it.
That there could be 2 lists: A desk list which would be a gathering of all the desk contacts of all media, and another personal contact list for journalists from the media. The meeting agreed that the use of the list needed more discussion.
S asked about alternative media. A discussion about alternative media, with agreement that the lists could be for all media.

5. V to request from R admin access to riseup press mailing list
Comments: V reports that R is unwilling to give her admin status on the current Press List on riseup because she already has access to too many OL platforms.  She asked him to nominate another person for this, but has not had a response yet.
B will try to contact him now.

6. B to ask R to add L to riseup press mailing list
DONE

7. B, K and O to review phone options (single phone/SIM card versus service)
NOT DONE

Other topics:

There was confusion about the fact if the relationship between the Press WG and the GA. There was agreement that at least for now, the Press WG can make press statements provided this is done via the riseup Press List and that any such statement is in accord with the Occupy London statements. There was agreement that it would be good to define better in the future the relationship between the GA and the press list.

Next meeting agreed to be on 18th July at 17.30 at RFH

© 2012 Occupy London
Powered By DynamiX