ACTIVIST – TINA ROTHERY SUED FOR £55,342.37
Tina Louise Rothery is being persecuted through the legal system for over £55,000 in costs. It’s fracking company Cuadrilla that is ultimately behind this, presumably to make an example of Tina and to put off future anti fracking protest.
The court wants Tina to pay £55,342.37 in costs for an ‘eviction’ (that wasn’t an eviction as everyone had already gone by this point) in summer 2014 of a 3-week camp in a field earmarked for fracking by Cuadrilla in the Fylde, Lancashire. During this time Reclaim the Power set up camp alongside the nanas, in solidarity. Cuadrilla has since been refused permission to frack in Lancs so Cuadrilla may have a special grudge against Tina.
FRACKING IS BAD, TINA IS GOOD!
Tina needs anti-fracking believers’ full support and backing in every way, because she has been defending her community and the planet. Tina has consistently said that she will not pay these costs – because they are totally illegitimate.
Anything that can be done to make Tina Louise’s case as high profile as possible will be much appreciated by her, and indeed will help to catalyse the movement as this is a clear case of corporate bullying which everyone hates. The more the public can support Tina, the more we demonstrate to industry and the government that the anti-fracking movement is an organised and effective movement.
OCCUPY DEMOCRACY’s VIDEO OF TINA LOUISE ROTHERY AT CAMP
SOME WAYS TO HELP TINA
– Go to the court hearing on 24 June 2016 at Blackpool County Court at 9am. Details of the solidarity demo are here: https://www.facebook.
– Pressure Cuadrilla to stop persecuting Tina – by telling them so with letters, calling them, saying so on radio, through social media, any public forum but also directly to them…this tactic helped with the No Dash for Gas case. Cuadrilla’s Twitter account is: @CuadrillaUK
– Create and share memes showing your solidarity with Tina (some attached here)
– share media contact lists with Tina – people are needed to assist with media work. Tina is doing a press release – once available we should share as widely as possible
– do activist activities aimed at Cuadrilla through any means possible, just as was done with EDF for the No Dash for Gas activists is likely to be helpful (although their head office is some way away from London) – with the No Dash for Gas campaign against EDF all sorts of tactics were used. For example: recruitment events in universities could be disrupted, public talks that they do could be interrupted, any sponsorship deals they have could be targeted, buildings can be occupied (it is likely that they have various links with universities) etc…
– write blogs, create art, and do anything else that you possibly can to make this case as high profile as possible
Occupy London Articles about that camp